Finding a Floor that's Pet Friendly
By Jaye Lewis
Deciding to have a dog or cat is a long term commitment. While pets can be counted on to love unconditionally, pet owners often find themselves at the end of their ropes, as they see that new carpeting taking on a brownish tinge. Or how about that hardwood floor? Pet claws can scratch and gouge that shiny finish. Sure, you can refinish a hardwood floor, but how often are you willing to do that?
Animals are a source of constant surprise. They grow bigger than you thought, as when a "medium-sized" puppy doesn't stop growing until he can rest his chin on the kitchen counter. And "minis" or "toys" can often inherit all of the standard genes, from both parents. Instead of weighing 9 pounds, he now weighs a sleek 15 pounds, with claws that can dig to the other side of the world in about fifteen minutes. There goes that hardwood floor! And the carpeting? Watch out!
Pets, just like people, are not perfect. They have accidents all the time (with the occa-sional "on purpose" thrown in for good measure). They get sick, and they throw-up. That top of the line carpeting, with its 10 year warranty, now looks like it was used to line the floor of a first century vomitorium. And the warranty? It only covers "normal" wear. When you have pets, there is no such thing as "normal wear."
A pet owner must choose pet-friendly flooring, and these days there are many floorings from which to choose:
Luxury vinyl is not your mother's vinyl floor. Today's luxury vinyl can give you the look and feel that you want, whether it is slate, stone, marble, or ceramic. Luxury vinyl has many pet-friendly attributes, and it is wonderful for small children. The following are the best reasons to go for a luxury vinyl floor:
• Low-Allergen - This is great for allergies, and especially for the asthmatic child or adult.
• Moisture Resistance - Spills can be wiped up; and those accidents will not leave a tell-tale stain behind.
• Very Quiet - The tick-tick-tick of your pets nails will be a distant memory.
• Ease of Maintenance - A quick dusting and a damp-mop is all you need.
• Peace of Mind - No more worries about spills, stains, or scratches. You can enjoy your pets, instead of worrying about your floors